"That must have been the best side in the world... and not because I was playing in it!"

- Kenny Morgans on United 1957/58

08/02/2008 10:00, Report by Steve Morgan
1 of 3 Next 

Kenny Morgans: My story

Like his team-mates Kenny Morgans wasn't short on confidence.

The Swansea-born winger, plucked from the valleys at 15 by Bert Whalley and Jimmy Murphy, had graduated to become captain of United’s all-conquering youth team shortly before his first-team debut – a 4-0 home win against Leicester City –  in December 1957…

Making the grade
“I made my debut at 18 against Leicester at Old Trafford, alongside Harry Gregg, who’d just been signed from Doncaster. The first team wasn’t clicking, so Matt Busby had made changes. He put Albert Scanlon on the left wing, me on the right and Harry played in goal. He was one of the best goalkeepers in the world. He dominated his area superbly, picked every ball from corners, free-kicks and crosses. Then we had Roger Byrne, our captain, at left full-back – and he really was a captain, too. He never came out with us, stayed with the chairman and Matt Busby, and when he said something, you did it! We had Bill Foulkes at right-back and in front of them arguably the best three wing-halves in the world: Eddie Colman, Mark Jones, and Duncan Edwards. I was outside-right, Bobby Charlton at inside-forward, just a year older than me; Tommy Taylor, Dennis Viollet and Albert. That must have been the best – and not because I was playing! – side in the world."

“We came from Belgrade down into Munich to refuel – the weather was terrible, it was snowing, there was ice on the plane. They took the ice off the plane twice. The first couple of times we were just laughing. We thought, ‘go and have another cup of coffee’. Nobody thought anything about it, everybody was joking.. But everybody was feeling the same way when we got on the third time: it was quiet. People had changed seats, gone up the back to sit down, so it seemed as if something was going to happen. I was sat by the window looking out. I was frightened to death. I remember thinking ‘the plane can’t go any faster and we’re not in the air’. I remember hitting the fence at the end of the runway, then I blacked out. At about eight or nine o’clock that night, two German reporters went back to the plane to look for something and I was still there. I was the last out. Once the plane hit the fence, it had pushed me underneath the plane to the luggage compartment at the back. I woke up on the Sunday morning, with Albert Scanlon, Bobby Charlton and Ray Wood and thought the

1 of 3 Next 


Premier League