Goal of the Decade 2000-2009
Enjoy our free video of United's top five strikes, as voted by you:
1) Cristiano Ronaldo v Porto, 2009 (20%)
2) Wayne Rooney v Newcastle, 2005 (15%)
3) Paul Scholes v Aston Villa, 2006 (11%)
4) Paul Scholes v Barcelona, 2008 (10%)
5) Cristiano Ronaldo v Portsmouth, 2008 (6%)
Here's the rest of the top 10:
6) Federico Macheda v Aston Villa, 2009 (6%)
7) Cristiano Ronaldo v Arsenal, 2009 (5%)
8) Paul Scholes v Bradford, 2000 (4%)
9) Ruud van Nistelrooy v Charlton, 2005 (4%)
10) Paul Scholes v Panathinaikos, 2000 (4%)
Thousands of you voted, and Ronaldo’s astonishing long-range effort against Porto in the UEFA Champions League quarter-final in April 2009 emerged a clear winner with 20 per cent of the votes.
Even by the winger’s extraordinary standards, this was a goal that came out of the blue. There looked to be nothing on as Ronaldo picked up the ball 40 yards from goal, but the accuracy and sheer power of his strike left Porto keeper Helton completely helpless.
Chronologically, the Estadio do Dragao cannonball was the penultimate in our shortlist, which kicked off with Paul Scholes' volley direct from a corner at Bradford in 2000 and ended with Ronaldo's breakaway goal in the Champions League semi-final at Arsenal in May.
Runner-up with 15 per cent of the votes is Wayne Rooney’s sumptuous edge-of-the-box volley against Newcastle at Old