07/01/2013 14:45, Report by Adam Marshall
2 of 3 Previous Next 

FA Cup rescue acts

1990: Crystal Palace 3 United 3 (Wembley)
With seven minutes left, the chances of the boss picking up his first trophy at the club were vanishing fast. Hughes kept his composure to roll his second goal of the match past Nigel Martyn and Lee Martin's strike won the replay and the rest, as they say, is history.

1972: United 1 Stoke 1
Jimmy Greenhoff, later to become an Old Trafford favourite, looked to have sent the Potters through but George Best equalised with five minutes left. Although Best scored again in the replay, Stoke came from behind following extra time to clinch a place in the semi-finals.

1965: United 2 Burnley 1
The Reds were trailing to Andy Lochhead's effort at Old Trafford until a quickfire double inside the space of a couple of minutes. Denis Law's overhead kick and a Paddy Crerand howitzer did the damage to turn the tie on its head and set up a classic sixth-round encounter at Wolves.

1964: United 3 Sunderland 3
A stirring FA Cup clash was heading the Second Division leaders' way following a second-half double by Johnny Crossan. After keeper Jim Montgomery complained of concussion when blocking a Law shot, United took full advantage with two goals inside the last four minutes from Bobby Charlton and Best and Law almost won it.

1964: Sunderland 2 United 2
A match that became the stuff of legend in the North East with some reckoning it was watched by a record Roker Park crowd despite the official attendance of 46,727. With a couple of minutes of extra time left, Charlton set up a second replay, which the Reds won 5-1, thanks to a crucial header that silenced the masses on the terraces.

1962: United 2 Bolton 1
Wanderers led for a long spell in this third-round tie through Dennis Stevens but David Herd appeared to have forced a draw in the 83rd minute despite looking suspiciously offside. However, there was still time for Jimmy Nicholson to send the crowd wild with a last-gasp winner, firing in off a post, and exacting some revenge for the last meeting in the competition - the 1958 final.

1955: Reading 1 United 1
Allenby Chilton's own goal was proving costly at Elm Park until Colin Webster saved the Reds

2 of 3 Previous Next 


Premier League