Any derby win over the Blues is special but victory at Old Trafford would have the extra significance of all but sealing the 2012/13 championship for United.
While that will undoubtedly spur the Reds on, Danny Welbeck insists the team have approached every game with the same positive attitude this season.
The striker told United Review, the official matchday programme: "It’s a huge motivation, but that motivation has been there all season.
"To be 15 points ahead is a big margin but we won’t get complacent. Our mentality is always the same for every match – to win. That won’t change.
"Of course, knowing victory tonight would put us within a few points of the title is a massive incentive for us."
- Exclusive Danny Welbeck interview
- Famous Mancunians' derby musings
- Media experts' big-match preview
- Gary Neville ambassador column
- Sir Alex and Paddy Crerand columns
- Exclusive Andy Hinchcliffe interview