United’s new home kit for the 2012/13 season is inspired by the gingham pattern that was first produced in the cotton mills of Manchester.
In light of this, we thought we’d test your knowledge of first-team players past and present who were either born or raised in the local area. How did you fair?
1. Dennis Viollet is joint-fifth on the list of United’s all-time goalscorers. Who’s he tied with? George Best
2. Danny Welbeck scored his first Premier League goal against which club? Stoke City, 2008
3. Brian Kidd celebrated a birthday goal during the 1968 European Cup final. How old was he? 19
4. Which Manchester-born Red is still the only person to manage and play for United? Wilf McGuinness
5. Against which rival team did Zeki Fryers make his first-team debut in the League Cup? Leeds United
6. How many goals did Wes Brown score in 362 appearances for United? Five
7. Which Busby Babe scored 34 goals in 115 games before signing for Newcastle in 1960? Albert Scanlon
8. This Collyhurst midfielder won the World Cup and European Cup in 1966 and 1968. Who is he? Nobby Stiles