The extracts on this page are taken from selected national newspapers. The views expressed here do not necessarily reflect the views of Manchester United.
Berbatov wants end to impasse
It is understood Berbatov handed his request on Friday to sporting director Damien Comolli and chairman Daniel Levy, the day before he was named as a substitute at Middlesbrough where Spurs lost 2-1. Earlier in the summer, Levy feared Berbatov would have a negative influence on the dressing room after making it clear he wanted to join Manchester United. A United bid of £20.5million was rejected last month and they have not made another formal offer, although Tottenham have insisted they do not want to let him go. However, the saga has entered a crucial stage following Berbatov's request and comments on his arrival for international duty. "I'm now at Tottenham but no one can disagree with me wanting to follow my dream," said Berbatov.
Richard Bright, Daily Telegraph
Sir Alex says that he wants four experienced strikers to target a second Treble (The Sun). He says: "We are working on bringing in another top striker. Having added strength up front is a situation I would really enjoy. Ideally, I like to operate with four experienced strikers, as we did when we won the Treble."
The Mail, on the other hand, says the Reds boss is satisfied with his squad and "doesn't need any new players".
The Guardian thinks that Cristiano Ronaldo "may have to adapt to a drop in adulation" at United after a summer linking him with a move to Real Madrid.