The extracts on this page are taken from selected national newspapers. The views expressed here do not necessarily reflect the views of Manchester United.
Man City plan world-record bid for Ronaldo
Manchester City are ready to smash the world transfer record to bring Cristiano Ronaldo back to the Premier League. Roberto Mancini's men joined European football's elite last week by qualifying for the Champions League for the first time. Now City want the Portuguese superstar to spearhead their bid to win the trophy next season. Ronaldo, 26, moved to Real Madrid from Manchester United in a record £80million move in 2009 and signed a six-year contract worth over £100m. Under Jose Mourinho this season, he has equalled the goals record in a La Liga campaign - 38 - and still has a game to go. The Spanish giants have inserted a US$1billion buyout clause in his contract to protect their prize asset. Mancini said after City's FA Cup Final triumph on Saturday that he wanted players of proven Champions League experience to take the club to the next level. Ronaldo would also prove a high-profile replacement for another ex-Manchester United star, Carlos Tevez, should the Argentine decide to leave.
Also in The Mirror, Gary Neville is praised by Oliver Holt, who explains why the United legend deserves a memorable send-off from fans during his testimonial match against Juventus next Tuesday. Writing in his column, Holt says: “It will be a fitting time to pay tribute to one of the men who laid the foundations for all the Club’s recent success.”
Elsewhere, the Manchester Evening News claims the famous Stretford End banner signifying Manchester City’s 35 years without a major trophy will go on display in the National Football Museum, after it was taken down in light of the Blues’ FA Cup final victory over Stoke.