The extracts on this page are taken from selected national newspapers. The views expressed here do not necessarily reflect the views of Manchester United.
Hernandez signs new five-year deal
Javier Hernandez has agreed a new five-year contract that moves him into Manchester United's higher bracket of earners and continues the club's policy of ensuring all their more valuable players are confirmed as long-term assets. United have not officially announced Hernandez's new contract but the club have been keen to finalise terms since the summer, rewarding the Mexican for scoring 20 goals in his first season since signing from Chivas de Guadalajara. "We have renegotiated Javier's contract and he is now committed for five years with Manchester United," the player's agent, Eduardo Hernandez, said. "The initial contract was good for Manchester and for Javier because it enabled them both to see if they could fit together and if he could achieve what was expected of him. Both sides have met their expectations and United were happy to reward Javier after his very good performances last season." Hernandez has been linked with Real Madrid but his representative said there had been no contact from the Spaniards. "It was never likely that Javier would leave. Talks began some time ago and United came up with a very good offer and I have nothing but praise for the way they have recognised Javier's performances."
Daniel Taylor, The Guardian
The Guardian also reports that United and Chelsea are among several clubs who have moved to distance themselves from Liverpool's proposal to break from the Premier League's model of collecting television rights revenue.
In other news, the Telegraph says Wayne Rooney faces the prospect of missing the entire group phase if his red card against Montenegro is deemed to be an 'assault.' The striker will discover the length of his ban at Euro 2012 on Thursday.