WHAT THE PAPERS SAY

WHAT THE PAPERS SAY

The extracts on this page are taken from selected national newspapers. The views expressed here do not necessarily reflect the views of Manchester United.

Papers: Berba set to sign

01/03/2012 09:30

Ian Herbert writes in The Independent...

Berbatov agrees new United deal
Manchester United's Dimitar Berbatov will this month have his contract extended until the end of next season, laying to rest any lingering doubts about the club's desire to keep a player who has slipped further out of contention. The 31-year-old's existing contract ends this summer but a "one-way" option enables United to extend it by a year at any time until it expires. They will do so this month, which means Berbatov will be a part of Sir Alex Ferguson's squad until June 2013 unless another club comes in for him in the next two transfer windows. The one-year extension is understood not yet to have been signed, though United will invoke the option. Ferguson said of Berbatov's future before his strong first half in United's 2-1 defeat to Ajax last week: “I think we resolved that – that he will be here next year.”

In the Daily Mail, Martin Keown has paid tribute to Danny Welbeck following his industrious performance for England during Wednesday’s 3-2 defeat to the Netherlands at Wembley. Writing in his column, the former Arsenal defender praised: “Welbeck demonstrated he can hold up the ball as a lone striker, surviving mostly on scraps. Sometimes players are unrecognisable from those we see every week in the Premier League, but not in his case.”

Elsewhere, the Manchester Evening News says Chris Smalling is a doubt for United’s trip to Tottenham on Sunday after the Reds defender suffered a head injury whilst on international duty with the Three Lions, as reported by ManUtd.com on Wednesday.

More:  Schmeichel tips Reds for titleRooney: We won't panic |

Round Up By Mark Froggatt

OFFICIAL SPONSORS