Papers: Moyes plans raid
Click the main image to browse a gallery of the UK's back pages.
Moyes plans £40million raid on Everton
David Moyes wants to make Marouane Fellaini his first signing for Manchester United - as Wayne Rooney’s replacement. And Everton boss Moyes, confirmed on Thursday as Sir Alex Ferguson’s managerial successor at Old Trafford for next season, also wants to sign left-back Leighton Baines from his current employers in a £40million double raid. Midfielder Fellaini - who can also operate as a striker - has a £23m buy-out clause in his contract, and the Toffees are already prepared for his departure this summer. Outgoing United boss Ferguson considered a move for Baines last summer. Now, the arrival of his fellow Glaswegian at the new champions will see a £17m bid lodged for the England full-back. Moyes is ready to ship Rooney - whom he managed at Everton - out of Old Trafford. The England striker asked Ferguson last month to let him leave at the end of the current campaign. Rooney has become disillusioned with life at United and will be allowed to leave for £25m this summer, with Fellaini lined up to fill the void left by his exit.
The Daily Mail says Phil Neville is in line to return to Old Trafford as part of Moyes’ coaching team, as well as Everton’s reserve team manager David Weir. Journalist Christ Wheeler also casts doubt over the futures of Mike Phelan and Rene Meulensteen.
Elsewhere, Phil Thomas of The Sun says Moyes will put the first team through a boot camp upon their return from holiday this summer. The journalist writes: “Any Manchester United superstar expecting a slackening of the reins when Fergie moves upstairs is in for a rude awakening.”
More: United appoints new manager | Carrick relishes Moyes era | Neville: Result for sanity