Barclays Premier Reserve League
Ewen Fields, 22 October 2008


Cleverley (13), Gibson (pen, 57), Possebon (63)

22/10/2008 19:27, Report by Steve Bartram
1 of 2 Next 

Reserves: City 0 United 3

United's Reserves romped to victory in a hard-fought derby against Manchester City, taking the spoils after goals from Tom Cleverley, Darron Gibson and Rodrigo Possebon.

City played the final half hour with 10 men as Shaleum Logan was sent off, and United took full advantage of the extra body. In truth, though, the Reds were well on top even before the Blues defender was dismissed.

In a frantic first half, it was Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's side who forged all the clear openings. The first of the match, after 13 minutes, led to the opening goal as Cleverley hammered home a 20-yard shot after being teed up by skipper David Gray.

Cleverley strode through on goal towards the end of the half, but was thwarted by a fine save from Kasper Schmeichel. Two minutes before the break, bombarding Brazilian Rafael saw his shot suffer a similar fate.

Although the Blues could have drawn level within two minutes of the restart, as Ben Mee planted a free header wide, the game was dead and buried after 56 minutes.

Richard Eckersley burst into the City area and got his body across Logan's path, and the inevitable coming-together saw Logan sent off and United handed a penalty, which Gibson stroked home.

Soon, United had a third. Manucho teed up Possebon on the edge of the area, and he drilled a low shot inside Schmeichel's left-hand post. The Brazilian deserved a goal, capping his return to action after suffering a seriously gashed leg on first team duty last month.

But for Schmeichel's heroics, United could have heaped further embarrassment on their struggling hosts in the latter stages. Twice Manucho burst through on goal, leaving the City defence trailing in his wake, but both times was denied a goal by superb one-handed stops.

The Angolan striker was unfortunate not to find the net after an impressive display, having toiled away gamefully all evening as a lone striker. At the other end of the field, England international goalkeeper Ben Foster was a virtual spectator until an injury-time stop from

1 of 2 Next 


Premier League