FA Youth Cup 3rd round proper
Old Trafford

(Weir 45, Ioannou 64, Love 72)

(Howieson 37, Gilchrist 67,80,112)

07/12/2012 21:24, Report by Adam Marshall
2 of 3 Previous Next 

FAYC: United 3 Burnley 4

The leveller gave the hosts a boost after the interval and, after Wilson fired a rash shot off target, Ioannou found the net with an instinctive prod after Ben Pearson's effort was cleared off the line. Yet Burnley remained a threat and Cameron Dummigan fired into the side-netting before Gilchrist was first to the rebound after Gollini pushed the ball into the air to make it 2-2.

Once again, the Reds responded in the right manner with Daehli teeing up Love for a full-blooded drive that found its way past Jakovlevs to regain the lead. Any hopes that would be sufficient to clinch a place in the next round proved unfounded as Declan Dalley, who had replaced the injured Ioannou moments earlier, put Gollini under pressure with a back-pass and Gilchrist won the tackle with the keeper to slip his second of the night into an unguarded net.

Daehli tried to inspire a late winner but scooped over the top before flashing a dangerous ball across the face of goal. Wilson had the final attempt of normal time but his powerful angled drive was well held by Jakovlevs.

The Reds continued to dominate in the first period of extra-time but Pearson's shot was beaten away by Jakovlevs with the midfielder pulling up with cramp afterwards. Howieson gave Gollini an uncomfortable moment from long range but most of the chances were created at the other end with substitute Jack Rudge upset not to win a penalty and Wilson heading inches wide following a Januzaj centre. 

Daehli was denied what looked a stone-wall spot kick after a mazy dribble but both teams looked leg-weary as the tie wore on. Out of nothing, Burnley conjured up a fourth goal with substitute Bradley Jackson getting away down the right to deliver a measured cross for Gilchrist to nod in for his hat-trick with eight minutes remaining. 

2 of 3 Previous Next 


Premier League