Barclays U18 Premier League
Saturday 13 October 2012

(Gorre 49; Wilson 72, 75)

(Onomay 15)

13/10/2012 12:38, Report by Steve Bibby
1 of 2 Next 

U18s: United 3 Tottenham 1

Manchester United Under-18s came from behind to beat Tottenham Hotspur in an entertaining game at Carrington and go top of Barclays Under-18s Premier League Group 2.

Seven days after losing away to Southampton, the young Reds conceded the first goal at home to Spurs as the bottom-placed visitors made the brighter start. When United failed to clear Darren McQueen's blocked shot, Josh Onomay was on hand to knock the ball past Pierluigi Gollini in the 15th minute.

Paul McGuinness' team responded well to going behind though, and Jack Barmby was twice unlucky not to score an immediate equaliser, first with a delicate chip and then when he forced a good block from Spurs goalkeeper Luke McGee.

Spurs continued to threaten on the break, and United were fortunate to not be 0-2 down at half-time after Laste Dombaxe fired over from the edge of the penalty area, and Darren McQueen and Alex McQueen also went close.

United began the second half with much more potency, as Donald Love slammed the ball against the post from close range just two minutes after the restart, after James Wilson had fired over. A minute later, and Andreas Periera fired a freekick towards goal that was turned around the post by McGee. The respite would only last thirty seconds for Spurs as the Reds' pressure paid off. Barmby's ball out to Kenji Gorre was well controlled by the young forward, as he held off the attention of Zodel Brown to fire the Reds level from a tight angle on 49 minutes.

Now on level terms, United continued to press forward and again Love came close to getting his name on the scoresheet as his well-struck volley from the edge of the area forced McGee into an excellent save as he clawed the ball around the post.

Love picked out Andreas Pereira after a marauding run forward on the right hand side, finding the young Belgian unmarked in the six yard box, but a combination of McQueen and McGee somehow kept the ball out of the net. Pereira was involved again when the Reds did go ahead with 20 minutes remaining,

1 of 2 Next 


Premier League