1902 - John Henry Davies becomes involved with Newton Heath and the club is renamed Manchester United
1906 - United's Bank Street ground has the first covered stand in England
1908 - Still at Bank Street, United are league champions for the first time
1909 - Site for a new stadium is found near Trafford Park; Scottish architect Archibald Leitch is appointed to design it
1910 - 19 February; the very first match at Old Trafford ends United 3-4 Liverpool
1915 - 24 April; OT hosts the FA Cup final, Sheffield United 3-0 Chelsea, attended by 49,557 (pictured above)
1920 - 27 December; biggest pre-war crowd for a United league match, 70,504, sees the Reds lose 3-1 to Aston Villa
1926 - 17 April; First international match at OT ends England 0-1 Scotland
The history of United has been a story of big names, but in the 100-year existence of Old Trafford there are just two.
You might not have heard of them, but without Leitch and Davies, the largest stadium in British club football would never have been built, and United would be playing in a 50,000-capacity stadium next door to a chemical factory.
The story starts with John Henry Davies. When he became involved with the club in 1902, it was at the lowest point in its history. Rooted to the bottom of the Second Division and playing at a ground in Bank Street, Clayton that was more village hall than Theatre of Dreams, Newton Heath (as United were then known) were close to bankruptcy.
Even Bank Street had been an improvement on the club’s first ground in North Road, Monsall. The pitch there was cloaked in smog from a nearby chemical plant and was described as “hard flint” at one end and “a mudheap” at the other. The changing rooms were in the local pub, which enabled the club to set new standards in matchday hospitality, but were half a