Bag Restrictions & Prohibited Items
Manchester United takes the safety of our supporters extremely seriously. Working in partnership with key stakeholders including Greater Manchester Police, we constantly review our safety and security procedures to help ensure the safety of all supporters, visitors and staff at Old Trafford.
MATCHDAY SCREENING PROCEDURE
Every supporter attending at Old Trafford is subjected to a screening process prior to entering the stadium that includes a physical and/or visual search. In addition, there are restrictions on the size of bag that can be taken onto the stadium footprint.Exceptions will only be made for bags containing essential medical provisions/equipment or baby changing items that require larger bags.
In order to ensure that spectators are able to enter the stadium and access their seats prior to kick-off we recommend the following:
- Arrive at Old Trafford and get to you turnstile at least an hour before the start of the match (turnstiles will open 2 hours before kick-off)
- If at all avoidable do not bring a bag larger than 20cn x 15cm x 5cm (8" x 6" x 2") with you to the match; this equates to a small handbag.
Full information on Safety Procedures can be found here
All bags will be subjected to a physical and/or visual search at the stadium entrance and items larger than the size criteria must be left at one of the 'Bag Drop' facilities (see map below). These are located in E2 car park (including one specifically for away supporters), N2 car park, W2 Cosgrove car park, and the car park of the Manchester United Foundation building that is accessed off Railway Road.
There is a £5 charge to leave an item at a ‘Bag Drop’, with all profits going to the Manchester United Foundation to support their work using football to engage and inspire young people across Greater Manchester to create a better life for themselves and the communities in which they live.
Bringing a bag will potentially delay your entry to the stadium and will delay your departure after the game if you are required to use a the ‘Bag Drop’ facilities. We therefore encourage you not to bring any restricted bags or prohibited items to the stadium, and if you have to bring any restricted bags, we recommend you arrive at least 2 hours before kick-off). Please do not be alarmed by the security measures - they are in place to ensure that Old Trafford is a safe, secure environment.
Bag Drop FAQ's
Can restricted items be left at the 'Bag Drop'?
Restricted items can be left at the Bag Drop with the exception of fireworks, flares, pyrotechnics and illegal items which will be confiscated.
Will the 'Bag Drop' be secure?
The Bag Drop will be staffed at all times, however items are left at the owner’s risk. You will be issued with a numbered ticket and only able to collect the item which corresponds with the number on your ticket.
Will bags be searched?
Yes. A physical and/or visual search of unrestricted bags will be conducted at the stadium entry point along with screening of everyone entering the stadium. A physical and/or visual search of restricted bags will be conducted at the bag drop facility.
What if I lose my Bag Drop ticket?
Do cameras and laptops etc. need to be presented outside of bags at the Bag Drop (i.e. like airport checks)?
Your items will be fully inspected at the Bag Drop facility when you arrive. It may be necessary for them to be removed from their bags if you are directed to do so by a member of staff.
What if I’m late into the game as a result of Bag Drop and search queues?
We advise everyone who needs to use the Bag Drop facilities to arrive 2 hours before kick-off so that they are able to access the stadium in good time for kick-off. If you do miss kick-off you will not be refunded for your match ticket
What are the opening and closing times for the Bag Drop facilities?
Bag Drop facilities will be open from an hour prior to hospitality gates opening (i.e. 4 hours before kick-off), to up to two and a half hours after the final whistle.
What CAN I bring into the Stadium?
- Mobile phones, which must be able to fit in a pocket
- Small fold up umbrellas
- Small bottles of hand gel
- Small bags with dimensions or: 8 x 6 x 2 inches, or A5 or smaller
- Non offensive flags or banners 2m x 1m or less. They must not include sticks or poles and must meet fire regulations
- Clear plastic bottles of water 500ml or less, with the top removed
- Megastore purchases in Megastore carrier bags
- Crutches and walking aids. In order for us to ensure that your visit is as safe and smooth as possible, and your seats are suitable for your needs, please email email@example.com prior to attending the game
What CAN’T I bring into the Stadium?
- Smoke or gas canisters
- Water in excess of 500ml
- Dark plastic bottles and/or dark liquid
- Baby buggies or prams
- Air horns
- Solid containers or flasks
- Poles or sticks
- Fireworks, flares or pyrotechnics
- Large bags or suitcases
- Umbrellas (except small fold up umbrellas)
- Flags or banners larger than 2m x 1m or of an offensive nature
- Knives or weapons
- Drinking glasses
- Drink cartons
- Glass bottles
- Canned drinks
- Computer Tablets
- Large bodied cameras
- Image or sound recording devices
Please note: Old Trafford is a no smoking stadium, this includes the use of electronic cigarettes
Entry to the Stadium will be refused with any other articles deemed dangerous, hazardous or that compromise public health and safety.
If you have any questions before your visit, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone +44 (0)161 676 7770.