United Women 1 Liverpool 2

Sunday 17 December 2023 14:20

Manchester United succumbed to a 2-1 defeat against Liverpool in the Women's Super League on Sunday.

Ella Toone handed Marc Skinner's side an early lead, after some initial good work from Leah Galton in the build-up. Our no.7 tucked her effort beneath visiting goalkeeper Teagen Micah, much to the delight of the home crowd.

But Liverpool responded with just over half an hour gone, as Millie Turner headed into her own net from Missy Bo Kearns' cross, bringing the visitors level.

The Merseysiders then went ahead with 22 minutes left, as Taylor Hinds met Marie Hobinger's corner to complete the turnaround.
Ella Toone celebrates giving United an early first-half lead.


Before some fans had taken their seats, United took the lead, thanks to a smart finish from Toone, with just over two minutes on the clock. Galton's driving run and shot cannoned back off the post, before she scooped the rebound into the path of our no.7 to smash home the opening goal.

With 20 minutes gone, the Reds continued the sustained pressure, as Jayde Riviere burst forward down the right to cross for Toone. This time, she headed her effort wide of the mark. Melvine Malard then went close to making it two after beating Liverpool defender Gemma Bonner, but couldn't steer her shot past Micah.

Katie Zelem's out-swinging corner was met by the header of Turner, as Skinner's side's onslaught on goal continued. The England international saw her effort bounce off the bar as Liverpool continued to hold on.

Just after the half-hour mark, and against the run of play, the Merseysiders hit back. A cross from Liverpool winger Bo Kearns was turned home by the unfortunate Turner, and Kearns came close to giving Liverpool the lead shortly after, when Mary Earps leapt in the air to deny her goal-bound effort.


As the second half began, Matt Beard's side built on the confidence gained from their first-half equaliser. Ceri Holland did well out wide, before seeing an effort charged down well by Turner. They would soon reap the rewards of their efforts, as Marie Hobinger's cross into the area helped hand the visitors an unlikely second-half lead, with captain Hinds cushioning home the third goal of the game from close range.

Liverpool continued to frustrate the Reds as the second half continued. Hannah Blundell saw her strike blocked well, as Skinner's side attempted to get back into the encounter. Rachel Williams' first effort since her introduction, a header, flashed over the bar, after another dangerous delivery from captain Zelem.

Another corner from our no.10 saw our two substitutes combine, with Williams heading back across the face of goal for Geyse. Her shot was just wide of the mark.

Geyse again went close as 12 minutes of added time - brought on due to lengthy stoppage after Williams and Gemma Bonner collided - ticked down, but Micah stood strong to protect the Merseysiders' slender advantage. 

Despite our best efforts to get back on level terms, our year ends in defeat.


Earps; Riviere, Le Tissier, Turner, Blundell; Zelem, Ladd (Naalsund 73); Parris (Garcia 66), Toone (Geyse 73), Galton; Malard (Williams 66)

Subs not used: Middleton-Patel, Tullis-Joyce, Evans.

Goal: Toone 3. 

Bookings: Turner 29.

Liverpool: Micah; Clark, Bonner (Kiernan 87), Fisk; Koivisto, Kearns (Hobinger 63), Holland (Lundgaard 90+3), Nagano, Hinds; Lawley (van de Sanden 66), Haug.

Subs not used: Daniels, Enderby, Flint, Parry, Spencer.  

Goals: Turner (OG) 32; Hinds 68. 

Bookings: Koivisto 8; Bonner 76.