United Under-23s overcome Owls

Tuesday 10 August 2021 15:00

Manchester United's Under-23s rounded off pre-season preparations with an impressive 4-2 win over a strong Sheffield Wednesday team at Carrington.

The young Reds had gone behind early on to Lee Gregory's strike but went into the break level with the Championship side after Zidane Iqbal found the net in the 42nd minute. 

Gregory restored the Owls' lead after the interval, but half-time substitute D'Mani Mellor equalised in the minutes that followed before Shola Shoretire converted from the spot to swing the game in United's favour.

Hannibal completed the scoring late on to confirm a winning end to pre-season for Neil Wood's side.

Zidane Iqbal, the first of United's four scorers, attempts to get away from Wednesday's Massimo Luongo.

Four days on from a 2-2 draw at Kidderminster Harriers on Friday evening, the young Reds lined up against the Owls for the last friendly of pre-season before the start of our Premier League 2 campaign on Sunday.

The final preparations did not get off to the ideal start however, with the visitors taking the lead six minutes in. Ciaran Brennan’s through-ball found Gregory in behind the United defence, and one-on-one with Dermot Mee, he beat the ‘keeper to open the scoring.

Mee was forced off his line to prevent the Wednesday forward from doubling his tally just after the half-hour mark, but United had the majority of the first-half chances.

Mateo Mejia fired wide of the target after some good work from Iqbal before the former had a close-range effort blocked by Joe Wildsmith just before the break.

The young Reds did get on level terms with three minutes to go, however. Dillon Hoogewerf’s pass from the left found Iqbal, who slotted home from just inside the box to ensure it would be all to play for after the break.

The visitors did unfortunately deal the first telling blow of the second half though, to regain the lead. Massimo Luongo pulled the ball back into the penalty area, finding Gregory who was on target again for his second of the afternoon.

But United hit back straight away after Hannibal picked out Mellor who converted the equaliser from close range on the hour mark.

Hannibal, one of nine half-time substitutes brought on by Wood, would continue to make an impact and was brought down in the box shortly after, earning a penalty that Shoretire would step up and find the net with.

Having got an assist and won a penalty, Hannibal's impressive showing continued into the game's latter stages as the Tunisia international found the top corner from around 25 yards out. 

Korede Adedoyin hit the post for the visitors late on, but the scoreline remained the same with the full-time whistle going shortly after, to confirm the young Reds would take a victory into that Premier League 2 opener against Leicester City on Sunday.

Hannibal celebrates his goal in the closing stages with Dillon Hoogewerf.


United: Mee (Mastny 46); Wellens (Laird 46), McShane (Hardley 46), Olowu (Fernandez 79), Fernandez (Galbraith 46); Svidersky (Mellor 46), Savage (Levitt 46); Mejia (Forson 46), Iqbal (Hannibal 46), Hoogewerf (Shoretire 46); McNeill (Hoogewerf 79). 

Scorers: Iqbal 42, Mellor 60, Shoretire (pen) 63, Hannibal 79 | Gregory 6, 53.

Additional reporting by Steve Bennett.