Under-23s: Brentford 3 United 1

Friendly | Griffin Park, Brentford | Scorers: Coote 39, Forss 49, Cole 68 | Oksanen og 3

Manchester United’s Under-23s took time off from the Premier League 2 campaign to compete in this friendly against Brentford's B team at Griffin Park on Tuesday afternoon.

Ricky Sbragia changed his team dramatically from the one that went down 2-0 against Swansea City on Sunday. He introduced several Under-18s into his line-up in front of a crowd of 366 fans.

So, this game presented itself as a real test for United’s young side, but we were gifted an early boost when, after barely three minutes, a terrible mix-up in the Bees’ defence culminated with defender Jaakko Oksanen hitting the ball past his own trialist goalkeeper.

It was the perfect start for the Reds but, moments later, only a miraculous double save from Reds’ keeper Theo Richardson prevented Marcus Forss from claiming the equaliser with the forward somehow missing at the third attempt from point-blank range.

United's players shake hands with their Brentford counterparts.
The two sets of players shake hands before kick-off.

Brentford’s more mature selection certainly had more of the ball as the first half went on and, six minutes before the break, they got their reward when Ali Coote hit the leveller.

United rang the changes after the break and, as a result, enjoyed more of the ball, but we were up against a very good and well organised Bees side who proceeded to score two further goals through Forss (49 minutes) and Reece Cole (68 minutes).

United’s youngsters may have failed to claw a way back as game wore on, with Ethan Hamilton having a deflected shot saved and Tyrell Warren heading against the outside of a post, but the Reds may still be happy with the input and performance against a very strong Brentford side. 

United: Richardson (Kovar 60); Olosunde (Riley 60), Warren, Dunne (R. Williams 46), Borthwick-Jackson; Galbraith (McGhee 46), Whelan; Dearnley (Kehinde 46), Buffonge (Hamilton 46), Kenyon (Mellor 46); Bohui.