Hannabel Mejbri challenges a Wolves player

Under-18s: Reds rally to pick up a point

Saturday 02 November 2019 14:22

Manchester United's Under-18s are now unbeaten in four games, after recovering from going a goal down to draw 1-1 with Wolves at the Aon Training Complex.

It was a classic game of two halves with the visitors being the most adventurous and positive team in the first period and United taking over the attacking mantle following the break.

Jack Hodnett put Wolves in front and the Reds replied shortly after the interval with Charlie McCann hitting the target from the penalty spot.
Watch Charlie McCann score United's equaliser from the penalty spot.
Despite the obvious attraction of the first team's game at Bournemouth being shown live on television, there was a good turn-out to watch Neil Ryan's young Reds take on Wolves.

Strangely, the visitors were rigged out in black shirts and shorts, rather than their universally famous old gold, even though there was no colour clash with United’s normal strip of red and white.

Conditions at the Aon Training Complex were dull and cloudy but, at least, there was no rain as the game got under way.
The opening exchanges were finely balanced with both teams breaking forward at every opportunity but with few real chances being created. That was the case until the 21st minute, when Mark Helm unleashed a searing drive which looked certain to be a goal before Wolves 'keeper Joe Young produced a mighty flying save to deny United the lead.

Wolves then proceeded to dominate possession during the next spell and our defence were under the cosh. The visitors carried a real threat and in the 26th minute, their pressure finally bore fruit when Jed Abbey, who was involved in most of his team's best attacks, crossed from the left into the area and the waiting Hodnett made no mistake from close range.

The boys from the Black Country were good value for their lead and at that point it appeared that United would have to produce something special if we were to claw our way back.
United Under-18s coach Neil Ryan issues instructions to his players.
Remarkably, the second half followed the pattern of the first, but in reverse, as the Reds took the game to Wolves. There was a decisive edge to our game as we pushed forward in search of the goal that would put us on level terms.

The chances began to stack up with Anthony Elanga going close to scoring following a great run down the left and Shola Shoretire only being prevented from celebrating by another terrific save from ‘keeper Young.

The equaliser wasn’t long arriving after the break as United’s improvement continued to gain momentum. Eight minutes after the restart, United were level, thanks to McCann’s accuracy from the penalty spot after Shoretire had been baulked by Young.
Wolves had to work hard to keep Reds dangerman Anthony Elanga at bay.

This reply meant that United, who were without doubt in the ascendancy, had more than enough time to go after the winner. And go after it, Ryan's Reds did, with Wolves’ defenders experiencing a similar number of nervy moments to that which the home side had endured earlier.

Dillon Hoogewerf was a constant presence in front of the Wolves goal and with a modicum of good fortune, he could have claimed at least two goals.

Elanga also went close more than once and with six minutes remaining, McCann wasn’t in luck when his angled drive slammed against the crossbar.

Given the chances made in this game at both ends, it could have ended with a quite remarkable scoreline but in the end, a point apiece was just about fair.

Shola Shoretire lines up for a set piece.

United: Mastny; Beiger, Fish, Hockenhull, Hardley; McCann, Mejbri, Helm (Svidersky 82); Shoretire (Sotona 82), Hoogewerf, Elanga.

Substitutes not used: Neville, Mee, Wellens.

United - McCann pen. 53 | Wolves - Hodnett 26.

Reading this in our app? If not, you might miss some exclusive features not found on ManUtd.com. Download the Official App here.