Report: Spurs 1 United Women 2

Sunday 12 February 2023 14:00

Manchester United Women returned to the top of the WSL table after a 2-1 win over Spurs at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium.

Second-half goals from Leah Galton and an own goal from Molly Bartrip ensured a vital three points for Marc Skinner's side, after Beth England had levelled the scoring with 15 minutes to play in north London.

Ella Toone was shown a straight red card following an altercation with Eveliina Summanen in the final 10 minutes, as Mary Earps made two crucial saves in the closing stages to ensure the three points returned to Manchester.

The opening stages brought no real clear-cut chances, with Skinner's side dominating most of the ball, yet unable to find a breakthrough against a stern Spurs backline.

With 15 minutes played, some tidy interchanges between Alessia Russo and Toone enabled Galton to race through on goal. The 28-year-old's electric pace eventually saw her one-on-one with Tinja-Riikka Korpela, before her right-footed effort was just a little too high.

Galton did have the ball in the net midway through the first half, with her looping header sailing into the net, before the offside flag was raised just moments later.

Ashleigh Neville then cleverly slid the ball in behind the United backline in a rare Spurs attack, finding Beth England unmarked inside the penalty area. The latter's effort flew over the bar and served as a warning sign from the hosts.

Nikita Parris's teasing cross came to no avail as again the Reds came forward in search of the opener, with work to be done heading into the second period.
With just five minutes gone in the second period, set-piece specialist Katie Zelem saw her free-kick flash just wide of the post, as the Reds began to ramp up the pressure.

Russo found time and space on the edge of the area to get a snap-shot away at goal, moments later. Toone then raced through after Parris showed some bravery to win the initial header and set our no.7 on her way, but the shot crashed against a post and back into play.

After 67 minutes played, United took the lead, with Ona Batlle's delightful cross into the area falling kindly to the feet of Galton, and she smashed home her fifth goal of the season.

Eight minutes later, Spurs were level, with England racing through on goal before curling a right-footed effort beyond Earps to restore parity in the game and set up a grandstand final 10 minutes.

However, the scoreline lasted just 30 seconds, as United burst forward from kick-off, with Lucia Garcia's low cross into the area turned into her own net by Bartrip to make it 2-1 to the Reds.

Toone was then shown a straight red card for a spat with Summanen, with the referee opting to dismiss our influential midfielder after a coming together between the two players.

United held firm in the closing stages to record a huge away win, with goalkeeper Earps making two fine saves to deny the hosts a leveller.
Ona Batlle was a constant threat down the right-hand side for United across the 90 minutes.


Spurs: Korpela; Bizet Ildhusøy (Ayane, 69), Turner (James, 82), Bartrip, Zadorsky, Harrop; Iwabuchi, Summanen, Spence, Neville; England.

Subs not used: Spencer, Ale, Ubogagu, Karczewska.

Goal: England 75.

Spence, Summanen.

United Women: Earps; Batlle, Le Tissier, Turner, Blundell; Ladd (Boe-Risa, 68), Zelem; Parris (Garcia, 68), Toone, Galton (Thomas, 90+2); Russo (Williams, 83).

Subs not used: Baggaley, Mannion, Thorisdottir, Tounkara, Cascarini.

Goals: Galton 67, Bartrip (own goal) 76.

Red card: Toone.