click to go to homepage
Lingard competes with Jan Vertonghen

Tottenham Hotspur 2 Manchester United 0

Manchester United’s run of eight games without defeat came to an end at Wembley Stadium in front of a record crowd for a Premier League game.

The Reds' impressive defensive record, which had the opposition shut out in six straight matches in all competitions, was ended by a Christian Eriksen strike and Phil Jones's own goal.

Although United maintain a three-point gap over third place, the result enabled Manchester City to extend their lead at the top of the table to 15 points after the Blues beat West Bromwich Albion 3-0.

Spurs were ahead after just 11 seconds. A long ball forward found Deli Alli and as the England international tried to turn in the United area, the ball ricocheted off Chris Smalling and fell fortuitously into the path of Eriksen. The Dane made no mistake from close range to score the second-fastest goal in Premier League history.
Christian Eriksen gives Spurs the lead.
Denmark international Christian Eriksen gave Spurs the lead after just 11 seconds at Wembley Stadium
In a bid to restore parity, Alexis Sanchez carried the ball forward before picking out Paul Pogba. Being the Reds' most creative player in the Premier League this season, it was little surprise that Pogba was able to beat the Spurs defence with a neat through ball but it wouldn’t fall kindly enough for Jesse Lingard, therefore denying United an immediate equaliser.

Anthony Martial then looked to create a chance and after taking on Davidson Sanchez out wide, he was able to cut inside from the right to unleash a shot, but his effort lacked accuracy and sailed off target.
As they did from the kick-off, Spurs continued to look a threat on the attack. First, Harry Kane took aim for the first time in the match, although David De Gea got behind it to make a comfortable save. Heung-Min Son then looked ready to be played clean through on goal, but Smalling retreated well to intercept.

Tottenham's pressure in United's final third soon yielded a second goal. Eriksen produced a dangerous cross from the right flank and, in trying to steer it behind for a corner, Phil Jones could only direct the ball past a helpless De Gea.

Mourinho: The second goal killed usVideo

Approaching the break, the Reds found it challenging to mount an attack as Spurs, high on confidence, pressed high up the field and restricted most of United’s possession to the visitors' own half.

The Reds had a fair shout for a penalty nine minutes into the second period when Alexis’s header hit the arm of Son, but referee Andre Marriner was unmoved.

Eriksen had his eye on a brace just after the hour mark and saw a dangerous strike from outside the box drop just wide of De Gea’s right-hand post.

As Jose Mourinho’s side searched for a way back into the match, both Juan Matta and Ander Herrera were introduced to bolster the attack, but Tottenham were content with their lead and began to sit in, making them increasingly difficult to break down.

Overall it was a frustrating evening for the Reds, made even more so by the fact that if there had not been such decisive poor fortune in the early stages, it could have been a very different night under the Wembley arch.


Tottenham: Lloris (c); Trippier, Sanchez, Vertonghen, Davies; Dier, Dembele (Wanyama 92); Eriksen, Alli (Sissoko 87), Son (Lamela 81); Kane.

Subs not used: Vorm, Rose, Walker-Peters, Llorente.

Dembele, Ali.

De Gea; Valencia (c), Smalling, Jones, Young; Matic, Pogba (Mata 63); Alexis, Lingard (Fellaini 63 (Herrera 70)), Martial; Lukaku.

Subs not used: Romero, Rojo, Shaw, Rashford.

Jones, Young.
The United players applaud the travelling fans.
United's players applaud the travelling Reds after a difficult night in London

The Reds are back in action in just three days’ time (Saturday 3 February) when Huddersfield Town visit Old Trafford in the Premier League. Kick-off is at 15:00 GMT.

Related Keywords