COVID-19 certification to be introduced for Newcastle game
The Government has indicated that COVID certification checks are likely to be mandatory for those attending large events from 1 October 2021. In line with Premier League guidance, this is expected to apply at all Manchester United matches at Old Trafford.
Fans coming to any matches at Old Trafford from 11 September should be ready to have their COVID status checked. Spot checks will commence at the Newcastle United game on 11 September.
The process will be done through use of the NHS COVID Pass which is available via the NHS App or via other NHS services. The NHS COVID Pass lets individuals share their COVID-19 vaccination and test results in a secure way.
All adult supporters (18+) should be prepared to present their NHS COVID Pass upon request to confirm they are either:
• Fully vaccinated (’doubled jabbed’)
• or have received a negative COVID-19 PCR or lateral flow test result within 48 hours of kick-off.
All children under the age of 18 are exempt.
One of the following three conditions must be met in order to receive an NHS COVID Pass. You will be able to obtain an NHS COVID Pass:
• two weeks after completing a full course of vaccination, whether that requires two doses or one dose - after two doses of the Moderna, AstraZeneca or Pfizer vaccines, or after one dose of the Janssen vaccine
• with evidence of a negative PCR or rapid lateral flow test taken within 48 hours of the match's kick-off time. Lateral flow tests taken at home will need to be reported into the public reporting system
• with proof of natural immunity shown by a positive PCR test result for COVID-19, lasting for 180 days from the date of the positive test and following completion of the self-isolation period
We recommend that you do this by downloading and using the NHS App on your smartphone. Once you have logged in to the NHS App, select ‘Get your NHS COVID Pass’ from the homepage, then follow instructions from the screen.
The NHS App is available on Apple and Android devices and can be downloaded using the links below:
• App Store
• Google Play
Please note that the NHS App is separate to the NHS COVID-19 app used for contact tracing and for checking in to venues. For further assistance, please click here.
If you obtain your NHS COVID Pass through the NHS App using an iPhone or iPad, then you will be able to store your NHS COVID Pass using the Apple Wallet. You will see the ‘Add to Apple Wallet’ tab on your screen within the NHS App. If you store a PDF version of your NHS COVID Pass in your Apple Wallet, please note the expiry date – the PDF version will expire after 30 days. It will only refresh in the NHS App itself. This means you may need to download an updated NHS COVID Pass before you next need to use it.
1. Through a PDF shown on a smartphone screen. Using the domestic option on the NHS App, you can download the NHS COVID Pass to your phone. This can also be printed off or requested via the online NHS COVID Pass service. You can also add your pass, once generated, to your phone wallet (currently available for iPhone) which we strongly recommend you do ahead of attending, in order to avoid any connectivity issues you may encounter at the stadium.
2. Through the NHS App on a smartphone screen. Using the NHS COVID Pass function on the NHS App, you can demonstrate your COVID status using the domestic option. Make sure that the expiry date and time are valid.
3. Through the NHS COVID Pass letter. You can request proof of vaccination by telephoning 119, or via the NHS website and have a letter sent to you. How to get your NHS COVID Pass letter. This may take up to five working days - be sure to order this in plenty of time ahead of your trip to Old Trafford.
4. Proof of clinical trial exemption. People who have received a vaccine as part of a formally approved COVID-19 vaccine trial in the UK will be able to prove their status through the NHS COVID Pass or with a letter confirming their participation in the trial. Those who have participated in a clinical vaccination trial have been provided with a letter from their clinical research site.
5. Proof of test results. You may show a text message or email which confirms that you have received a negative COVID-19 test result within 48 hours of kick-off.
We strongly advise that you prepare for this in good time ahead of the match. Do not leave it to the day of the game to get organised.
For all the answers to your questions about COVID-19 certification, please click here.