Ten Hag issues encouraging Mainoo update
Kobbie Mainoo's return could be sooner than first anticipated, says Manchester United boss Erik ten Hag.
The 18-year-old midfielder has been unavailable for the Reds since he sustained an injury in our Tour 2023 clash with Real Madrid in Houston.
We issued an update on the Academy graduate at the end of July, but Ten Hag brought up the youngster at a press conference, when discussing his midfield plans, prior to our clash with Tottenham Hotspur on Saturday evening.
Erik namechecked the teenager as a player who can complement Casemiro in a defensive-minded midfield role when referring to his tactical set-up.
"I know, in this moment, he's not there, but Kobbie Mainoo, we have seen him against Arsenal [in pre-season], he is ready to also to pick that role," the manager told journalists. "At this moment, he’s not available but I think he will also, in say one, two months. Not in one month, but in two months, he will be available.
"And so, for the winter [that] is coming up, he absolutely will have his games."
Ten Hag's words will be hugely encouraging to Mainoo, after he impressed in our pre-season campaign until the unfortunate early injury against Real, when he had been entrusted with a key role against the Madrid giants.
The midfielder was named the Jimmy Murphy Young Player of the Year last term, after a breakout season that saw him handed his first-team debut and make his Premier League bow.
We wish you a speedy recovery, Kobbie, and hope to see you back out there soon.