Fred breaks United record
Manchester United midfielder Fred has made history by accumulating the most appearances for the club by a Brazilian player.
United’s no. 17 has made his 182nd appearance for the Reds and has overtaken fellow midfielder Anderson to set a new club record.
We've had 10 Brazilians among our ranks, the first being Kleberson who signed for Sir Alex Ferguson’s side in 2003 from Atletico Paranaense.
Currently, United have four Brazilians in the squad - Fred, Casemiro, Antony and Alex Telles (who is currently on loan to Sevilla.) Here is the list of all Brazilians who have played for United…
- Fred (182 appearances, 2018-present)
- Anderson (181 appearances, 2007-2015)
- Rafael Da Silva (170 appearances, 2008-2015)
- Andreas Pereira (75 appearances, 2014-2022
- Fabio Da Silva (56 appearances, 2009-2014)
- Alex Telles (50 appearances, 2020-present)
- Kleberson (30 appearances, 2003-2005)
- Casemiro (26 appearances, 2022-present)
- Antony (18 appearances, 2022 present)
- Rodrigo Possebon (8 appearances, 2008-2010)
Fred signed from Shakhtar Donetsk in 2018 for a fee of £47million and made his debut in a 2-1 win against Leicester City in August. He would score his first goal just a month later in September in a 1-1 draw against Wolverhampton Wanderers.
He has netted 10 goals and 17 assists in his five years for United, working alongside the likes of Ander Herrera, Scott McTominay, Casemiro and Paul Pogba.
This season Fred has made 24 appearances for Erik ten Hag’s men, scoring two goals and creating another. His last goal came in United’s 3-0 win against Nottingham Forest in December, coming off the bench to score in the 90th-minute.
Congratulations to Fred for breaking this record!