United Women 7 Everton 0

Thursday 09 November 2023 21:30

Manchester United Women beat Everton 7-0 at Leigh Sports Village in our opening Conti Cup outing of the season.

Nikita Parris and Rachel Williams both found the net inside the opening 30 minutes as the Reds raced into a two-goal lead, with Hayley Ladd tucking away our third shortly after the second-half restart.

Parris then added her second and third goals of the evening, as we extended our lead to four, and then five. There was still time for second-half substitutes Geyse and Leah Galton to get in on the act, as the duo both found the net from close range in the final stages.

Summer signing Evie Rabjohn was also introduced in the second half to make her debut for the club, as did goalkeeper Phallon Tullis-Joyce, who started the match.


Marc Skinner's team began the game on the front foot with Parris racing through in the early stages, only to be denied by former Red Emily Ramsey in the Everton net. Williams was then presented with a golden opportunity as the first-half etched on, as Justine Vanhaevermaet played the ball across the face of her own goal. United's no.28 took her shot first time but Ramsay again denied the Reds.

After 27 minutes, the Reds took the lead with Jayde Riviere's delivery picking out Parris inside the area, who powered home the game's opening goal.

Just 60 seconds later, our lead was extended to two, with Riviere once again the provider. The Canada international picked out Williams inside the six-yard area, and the forward nodded the ball home.

Lucia Garcia could have further added to our tally as we neared the conclusion of the first 45 minutes, but her effort flashed past the post and into the side netting.


United made it three after 11 minutes of the second half, as the ball fell to Hannah Blundell following a cleverly-worked corner routine. As the visitors failed to clear their lines, Ladd was on hand to tap home our third, grabbing her first goal of the season in the process.

Lisa Naalsund played in Garcia as Skinner's side continued to come forward. Her right-footed effort was saved well by Ramsey, before the offside flag was raised soon after.
United made it four as our continued pressure paid dividends, with Naalsund pulling the ball back to Parris, who lashed home to get her second of the evening.

Substitute Geyse latched onto another loose pass from Everton as she combined with fell second-half introduction Ella Toone. The latter blazed her shot over the bar as United went in search of a fifth.

A wonderful team move involving the same two players saw the Reds make it five just seconds later, as Geyse played in Toone to race through one-on-one. Unselfishly, the Lionesses midfielder squared the ball into the path of Parris, who tapped home to grab her hat-trick.

There was no let up either as we entered the final ten minutes, with Geyse making it six with a wonderful solo run and finish. Teed up by Toone, the Brazilian charged through before applying the required finish to make it.

Parris and Galton then combined to make it seven inside the final stages, as the latter lashed home a venomous effort to cap off a wonderful display for Skinner's side. 


Tullis-Joyce; Riviere (Rabjohn 63), Evans, Le Tissier, Blundell (Galton 63); Naalsund, Ladd (Zelem73), Miyazawa (Toone, 73); Garcia, Williams (Geyse, 73) Parris.

Subs not used: Middleton-Patel, Newell, Malard.

Goals: Parris 28, 69, 78, Williams 30, Ladd 57, Geyse 84, Galton 89.

Everton: Ramsey; Campbell (Veje 69), Wilding, Sorensen (K. Holmgaard 61); Vanhaevermaet, Olesen (Payne 61), Galli, Wheeler (S. Holmgaard 61); Bennison, Bissell, Duggan (Piemonte 61)

Subs not used: Brosnan, Snoeijs.

Booked: Holmgaard.