Report: Liverpool 0 United Women 1

Wednesday 22 November 2023 21:25

Manchester United have maintained our 100 per cent record in the Conti Cup, with a 1-0 win against Liverpool on Wednesday evening.

Despite a dominant display from the Reds, barring a brief period after the interval, it would be Nikita Parris’s first-half strike that proved the difference in the end. 

Phallon Tullis-Joyce pulled off an impressive save at full stretch in the second 45 to deny Liverpool a route back into the game. 

Victory in Merseyside makes it two wins from two in the Conti Cup for Marc Skinner’s side.
Nikita Parris fired the Reds ahead in the first half.
Looking to right the wrongs of last Sunday’s derby-day defeat, Skinner’s side were quick out the blocks at Prenton Park, for our second outing in the Conti Cup. Lucia Garcia’s slick pass found Parris through on goal in the opening minutes, but our no.22 watched on as her effort fizzed just wide of the mark. 

More chances would follow in quick succession for the Reds, the first falling to Ella Toone whose effort was gathered comfortably by Teagan Micah between the opposing sticks. Our no.7 was on hand to play Hannah Blundell in down the left a few minutes later, but her ball into the box was intercepted before it could meet Parris in the middle. 
Garcia came inches away from a wonderful solo goal 20 minutes in, when she brought the ball down before flicking it over the head of Lucy Parry, before surging towards goal and unleashing a half-volley. The ball would drift just wide of the far post, denying the Reds an opener. 

It looked as if Rachel Williams was set to head us a goal to the good when Parris stood up a pinpoint ball into the centre of the box, where she waited completely unmarked. Our no.28 didn’t make the desired connection, however, and directed the ball straight into the arms of Micah. 

After plenty of sustained pressure throughout the half, Parris ensured our efforts finally paid dividends in the lead-up to the interval. Picking the ball up on the edge of the area, she showed some slick skill to evade her defender and fire from range, with a slight deflection helping it beyond Liverpool’s no.16. 
Sharp reflexes from Tullis-Joyce kept the Reds ahead deep into the second half.
While the second half was far more frantic for teams at either end of the pitch, clear-cut chances would be few and far between as the hosts looked for a route back into the game. 

Matt Beard’s side had a dangerous spell of possession following the restart, forcing Tullis-Joyce into a handful of saves, while Gemma Evans stood tall to provide a crucial block to deny the Merseyside Reds an equaliser. 

Second-half substitutes Melvine Malard and Lisa Naalsund looked to combine in the opposing half, but neither the French international nor the Norwegian could quite get the ball out from under their feet to provide the finishing touch and double our advantage. 

Reds keeper Tullis-Joyce was called into action once more deep into the second 45, pulling off an astounding save to keep United ahead. The ball dropped to Missy Bo Kearns who hit it on the half-volley from close range, but the American shot-stopper was on hand to palm it over the bar with a sharp diversion. 

Malard continued to provide an outlet for Skinner’s side at the other end of the pitch, skipping away from defenders on more than one occasion, but couldn’t trouble Micah between the sticks. 

The win keeps us second in the Group B table, a point behind Manchester City with a game in hand.

Hinata Miyazawa in action.

Liverpool: Micah; Parry, Clark, Fahey (Fisk 46); Kearns, Lawley, Taylor (Nagano 59), Lundgaard (Hobinger 59); Daniels, Flint (Roman-Haug 59), Enderby (Kiernan 69). 

Unused substitutes: Laws, Koivisto, Hinds. 

Bookings: Taylor 35.

United: Tullis-Joyce; Riviere, Le Tissier, Evans, Blundell; Ladd, Miyazawa, Toone (Naalsund 63); Garcia, Williams (Malard 63), Parris (Galton 63). 

Unused substitutes: Middleton-Patel, Turner, Zelem, Geyse. 

Goal: Parris 41. 

Bookings: Ladd 56, Blundell 86.