Report: Man City 4 United 1

Sunday 06 March 2022 18:30

Manchester United were beaten 4-1 by Manchester City at the Etihad Stadium as we locked horns with our local rivals in the Premier League.

A Kevin De Bruyne brace in the first half came either side of a fantastic leveller from Jadon Sancho, who curled a shot in from the edge of the box.

However the Reds weren’t able to fight back and City secured all three points in the second half with Riyad Mahrez also netting a double.

Rangnick explains absentees


Our interim boss confirms why Ronaldo, Varane, Shaw and Cavani are not in the matchday squad.


The hosts started brightly and took the lead inside five minutes when Bernardo Silva cut a ball back from the byline into the path of Kevin De Bruyne and the Belgium dispatched a low left-footed effort into the net for his 50th Premier League strike.

Bruno Fernandes thought he had an opportunity to create a leveller almost immediately having been played in behind – but was flagged offside. Fred then forced Ederson into action after skipping past a Kyle Walker challenge in the box, but his compatriot was off his line quickly to deal with the danger.

Back at the other end, De Bruyne created a couple of chances as he looked for a second. First, he had a shot blocked as he tried one from the right side of the box, then David De Gea made a stop as he shot after bursting into the area.

On 22 minutes, the Reds were level as Sancho produced an exquisite curling effort after a lovely United move on the break. Having latched onto a delightful diagonal ball from Paul Pogba, Sancho dropped the shoulder, cut inside and whipped it home.

Six minutes later though, De Bruyne doubled his goal tally for the afternoon. Phil Foden saw a shot saved and in the scramble that followed the ball dropped to the Belgium to convert.

City finished the half the stronger, but were denied another goal before the interval as De Gea first saved a strike from Riyad Mahrez and then Harry Maguire made a critical challenge to halt De Bruyne on the break.


Pep Guardiola’s side had a couple of early chances blocked following the break. First De Bruyne was closed down after City had won the ball in the United box, then Silva had a strike stopped by the Reds putting their bodies on the line.

Going forward Fernandes looked to create a leveller for United, having done well down the flank his cross was too close to Edision. Around the hour mark Harry Maguire had his name taken following a strong challenge against fellow skipper De Bruyne.

City extended their advantage when Mahrez scored from a set play on 68 minutes. A deep cross was met on the half volley by the Algerian forward on the edge of the 18-yard-box. The ball flicked off Maguire on it’s way to goal, give De Gea no chance of saving it.

Moments after the restart, substitute Marcus Rashford tried to get one back. Having found himself alone in the box, he took on three players but was just unable to unleash the shot before the hosts managed to clear the lines.

Ten minutes from time, Joao Cancelo tried the spectacular on the volley with an overhead kick. His connection sent the ball back across goal and heading towards the net – but De Gea’s diving stop was equally as impressive to keep it out.

In stoppage time, Mahrez added his second and City’s fourth when a tight offside call went in his favour having struck from close range.

Goal of the Month winner confirmed


February's victor came top with 35 per cent of the vote, but who is it?


City: Ederson; Walker, Stones, Laporte, Cancelo; Rodrigo, De Bruyne (c) (Gundogan 80), Bernardo, Mahrez, Grealish, Foden.

Subs not used: Carson, Sterling, Jesus, Zinchenko, Fernandinho, Delap, Mbete, McAtee.

Goals: De Bruyne 5, 28, Mahrez 68, 90+3.

United: De Gea; Wan-Bissaka, Lindelof, Maguire (c), Telles; Fred, McTominay, Pogba (Rashford 64); Elanga (Lingard 64), Fernandes, Sancho.

Subs not used: Henderson, Bailly, Jones, Dalot, Matic, Mata, Hannibal.

Goal: Sancho 22.

Booked: Maguire.