Jackie Groenen

Women's report: Liverpool 3 United 1

Wednesday 07 October 2020 16:18

Manchester United Women’s unbeaten start to the campaign came to an end as Liverpool won the first Continental Cup game of the season.

Building on a bright start at Prenton Park, Stoney’s women got a well-deserved goal following pressure from a corner. A Millie Turner ball was met perfectly by Abbie McManus to head in for a 1-0 United lead.

Unfortunately, her first goal of the season was quickly answered by Liverpool’s Rachel Furness, who scored a penalty five minutes later, following a handball in the area.

In the second half, substitute Rinsola Babajide put Liverpool in front 20 minutes before full-time with another penalty strike before Furness, following a corner, added another for the hosts eight minutes from time.

Abbie McManus heads United in front.

United, who have made the semi-finals in both of our previous entries to the tournament, created the first chance of the game before two minutes was played. A well-worked attack ended at the feet of Tobin Heath, but the American, making her first United start, couldn't squeeze the ball past Rylee Foster in the Liverpool net.

Ten minutes after it was Heath setting up Jane Ross on the left-hand-side and the latter went for the far corner with a powerful strike but Foster pulled off an acrobatic save to deny United.

Just past the 27-minute-mark, massive United pressure led to our opening goal, with McManus heading home from Turner's cross, after the home side failed to clear our corner.

However, it did not take long before the hosts replied. A header from a corner hit the arm of Ross and a penalty was awarded and Furness scored past Emily Ramsey.

Five minutes before the break, United were screaming for a penalty when Heath was dragged down inside the area, however, nothing was given.

Press: I still have so much to learn


United’s new signing is excited by the challenge of a different culture and lifestyle in the WSL.

Before the start of the second half Stoney opted for a triple change which saw Heath, Hayley Ladd and Alessia Russo substituted for Kirsty Hanson, Lucy Stanisforth and Leah Galton.

United again started the half brightly. Toone smashed the crossbar early on in the second half before setting up substitute Galton inside the box after a brilliant piece of dribbling. Unfortunately, the latter didn’t manage to hit the target.

Stoney made more changes after the hour mark. Christen Press came on for Ross and Katie Zelem made her return, replacing Jackie Groenen, to make her 50th appearance in the United shirt.

Tobin Heath made her first United start against Liverpool.

With 20 minutes to go, Galton found Toone in the area but our no.7 shot wide and, shortly after, Liverpool were awarded another chance from the penalty spot.

Millie Turner brought down Jessica Clarke and substitute Babajide put the Merseysiders ahead.

Furness further extended the hosts' lead eight minutes before the end when she headed in from a corner, leaving Casey Stoney's side with work to do in Group C, where only the winner is guaranteed progress to the quarter-finals.


United: Ramsey; A.Turner (c), McManus, M.Turner, Smith; Ladd (Staniforth 46), Groenen (Zelem 61); Russo (Hanson 46), Toone, Heath (Galton 46); Ross (Press 61).

Subs not used: Earps.

Goal: McManus 28

Liverpool: Foster; Roberts, Robe, Fahey, Hinds; Furness, Bailey (Moore 71); Lawley (Kearns 81), Linnett, Clarke (Parry 90); Thestrup (Babajide 46)

Goals: Furness 33, 82, Babajide 72

Subs not used: Laws, Heeps, Ross, Parry

Booked: Hinds

Referee: Rebecca Welch