Report: United 0 City 2

Saturday 06 November 2021 14:45

Manchester United slipped to an Old Trafford derby defeat against City at Old Trafford as the Blues headed home with a 2-0 Premier League win.

The 186th Manchester dust-up was settled in the first half, when Pep Guardiola’s side scored twice.

The Reds were hit by an early setback after just six minutes when Eric Bailly turned the ball past David De Gea for an own-goal opener for the Blues.

Seconds before half-time, United critically fell two behind when Bernardo Silva scored at the far post. United’s attack were limited to fewer than a handful of chances as the visitors dominated.


The first decent chance of the derby fell to skipper Harry Maguire in the fifth minute when he met Luke Shaw’s free-kick with a solid header that was directed wide. But City’s dominance of possession was demoralising the Reds and unnerving the Old Trafford crowd. United fell behind soon after, when a Joao Cancelo low cross was turned in at the near post by Bailly, as he desperately slid in to attempt to clear the danger in the seventh minute.

The Blues then kept the ball frustratingly away from the hosts until the 26th minute before our support finally had something to get them out of their seats. Shaw’s low cross was sweetly volleyed with his left foot by Cristiano Ronaldo but Ederson saved the shot and the rebound came out too quickly for Mason Greenwood to react positively.

It then became a De Gea defiant super show to prevent City from going further ahead. In a six-minute spell, our Spanish goalkeeper was a one-man blockade and defied Gabriel Jesus, Cancelo twice, Kevin De Bruyne and also avoided a second own-goal catastrophe as he reacted quickly to a ball that came off Victor Lindelof.

It was a worrying spell but United survived, until falling further behind in the dying embers of the half. Cancelo's deep cross to the far post appeared to surprise the defence and Bernardo nipped in to turn the ball home via De Gea’s chest, who could not keep it out.


The boss changed our system for the second half. He abandoned the five-man defence and took Bailly off to bring on an extra man going forward in Jadon Sancho.

It did alter the dynamics for the Reds for a while but we couldn't make an impact on City's goal and the the visitors soon slotted back into their possession game.

After 66 minutes, there was another change with Marcus Rashford replacing Greenwood.

Shaw had been caught in the face during an aerial clash with Rodri and carried on for a short spell before he needed to be replaced by Alex Telles after 73 minutes.

United were still struggling to make in-roads and Donny van de Beek became the fourth change when he came on for Fred after 80 minutes.

City almost went further ahead when Phil Foden brushed the post with a low shot soon after the Reds' change.

It was a hard slog for United attempting to retrieve the ball from the Blues and trying to create any kind of danger. With a comfortable lead for the visitors, sadly the derby fizzled out with United unable to force any potential late dramatic finale.

Ilkay Gundogan gets past Aaron Wan-Bissaka.


United: De Gea, Wan-Bissaka, Bailly (Sancho 46), Lindelof, Maguire (C), Shaw (Telles 73), Fred (van de Beek 80), McTominay, Fernandes, Ronaldo, Greenwood (Rashford 66).

Subs not used: Henderson, Dalot, Lingard, Matic, Martial.

Bookings: Ronaldo.

Man City: Ederson, Walker, Dias, Stones, Cancelo, Rodrigo, Gundogan, Bernardo, De Bruyne, Jesus, Foden.

Subs not used: Steffen, Carson, Ake, Sterling, Grealish, Zinchenko, Fernandinho, Mahrez, Palmer.

Goals: Bailly og 6, Bernardo 44.

Bookings: Cancelo, Bernardo.