Millie Turner

United Women 0 Liverpool Women 0

Sunday 30 August 2020 17:17

Manchester United Women continued their pre-season campaign on Sunday afternoon by contesting a competitive and beneficial friendly match against Liverpool FC Women.

Although there weren't any goals in the end, the 0-0 draw was played at a high intensity and both teams will gain a lot from a solid workout ahead of the new 2020/21 campaign.

In particular, Casey Stoney's Reds looked sharp and perhaps deserved more than just a draw against the Merseysiders at Leigh Sports Village.
United started well and largely controlled the first half, comfortably dealing with Liverpool's pressure while also looking to attack on the counter when possible.

Leah Galton saw a shot saved by the goalkeeper in just the third minute of the match and Jane Ross also went close moments later with a low shot.

The same players combined in the 14th minute when Stoney's side almost broke the deadlock once again, this time with Ross striking the woodwork from a Galton cross. Kirsty Hanson was then unable to convert the rebound before Katie Zelem fired over from the edge of the box.

Liverpool also hit the bar in the 30th minute and much of their attacking threat came via the dangerous Rinsola Babajide, who had a couple of efforts at goal during an engaging first half.

United continued to press forward in the second half and almost found a breakthrough soon after the restart, when Galton's shot hit the right-hand post.

Liverpool remained a threat and forced a good save out of our goalkeeper Mary Earps on 61 minutes, after Babajide and Melissa Lawley combined well in attack.

Stoney made a triple substitution shortly after the hour mark when introducing Amy Turner, Jess Sigsworth and Jackie Groenen. 

Netherlands international Groenen had a decent chance on 68 minutes with a volley from the penalty spot, and she felt a spot kick was deserved moments later following a questionable challenge from a Liverpool defender.

Lotta Okvist and Lauren James also entered the action in the final 20 minutes of the match as Stoney handed out minutes to her squad, with the start of the Women’s Super League rapidly approaching.

But a goal could not be found and the final whistle eventually blew on a competitive 0-0 draw.

United: Earps, Smith, McManus (Turner 63), M.Turner, Batlle (Okvist 73), Ladd, Zelem (James 73), Toone (Groenen 63), Hanson, Ross (Sigsworth 63), Galton.