Solskjaer's update on the Varane transfer
Manchester United manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has provided an exclusive update on the progress of Raphael Varane’s transfer to the Reds.
The club announced on 27 July that it had agreed a deal with Real Madrid for the 28-year-old World Cup winner’s signature, subject to a medical and to player terms being finalised.
Fans were quick to display their excitement at the prospect of the Frenchman joining United for the 2021/22 campaign, while former players also rushed to give their opinion on the move.
David May said defenders ‘don’t come much better than Varane’, while Paddy Crerand compared him to the classy Rio Ferdinand.
The boss himself has also called Raphael ‘a proven winner’ and with all this praise it’s understandable that supporters want to know what happens next.
In an interview with club media conducted at the St Andrews training base, the Norwegian explained the final confirmation of the transfer had been slightly delayed due to paperwork.
However, he noted that Varane is working hard so he can hit that ground running in Manchester and that he hopes the deal can be completed soon.
“[It’s] Paperwork now, you know, with Brexit and all that,” Solskjaer said. “I was going to say malarkey but I don’t want to go into politics!
“It’s cost us a few days, with the visa, but he’s been looking after himself.
“Of course, we’ve got his medical first and hopefully that’s going to be done soon.”
In a separate interview with ESPN, the boss seemed to quash the prospect of Varane and summer arrival Jadon Sancho featuring in the final pre-season friendly with Everton on Saturday.
However, Solskjaer is still optimistic that the pair may be involved when the season kicks off for real, against Leeds at Old Trafford, seven days later.
“They still haven't trained with us, and I need to see how they are,” Ole told Rob Dawson. “I can't see them being available for Everton, but hopefully they will be ready to be on the bench [against Leeds].”