Ole 'can't say no' to further departures
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has hinted that there could be further Manchester United departures in the January transfer window.
Timothy Fosu-Mensah sealed his move to Bayer Leverkusen on Wednesday, while the boss has admitted that Marcos Rojo and Sergio Romero are available for transfer, with their contracts not being extended beyond the summer.
Any additional outgoings this month, though, would depend on other clubs making United an offer that can’t be refused.
“You can’t really say no because, in football, things just crop up,” Solskjaer told club media, when asked if anyone would be leaving, whether on loan or on a permanent basis.
Fosu-Mensah completes permanent moveArticle
Tim has finalised a transfer to the Bundesliga after agreeing personal terms in Germany.
“There are opportunities that we can’t really say no to and, if it’s the best for the club and the player, then it’s something we'll look at.
“At the moment I can’t update you on any of them, I don’t really know where any negotiations are [up to].”
Although it tends to be a quieter period than in the summer, Henrikh Mkhitaryan, Marouane Fellaini and Ashley Young have all left the Reds in each of the last three January windows.
Fosu-Mensah is the latest first-teamer to depart midway through the season, a decision Solskjaer says was made in order to give the 23-year-old an opportunity to play more football.
“We wish Tim all the best – six-and-a-half years I think he was here,” Ole added.
“He’s an exciting talent and he’s got the attributes, but he needs to play.
“When he gets regular game-time I think we’ll see him for Holland and we’ll see how good a player he is.”
Meanwhile, Ethan Laird left to join MK Dons on loan last week and could make his first senior league appearance against Peterborough United on Saturday, after shining at Burnley in the Emirates FA Cup.
Read our exclusive Q&A with Solskjaer from 08:00 GMT on Sunday.