Dylan Levitt scores a penalty for United's Under-18s against Man City

Under-18s: Manchester City 2 United 2

Saturday 13 April 2019 13:01

Local honours were even and points were shared as United and City battled out a 2-2 draw at Etihad Campus on Saturday.

The Blues twice led in a feisty match, watched by at least a couple of hundred spectators on a bitterly cold day in East Manchester, but United fought back both times with goals from Ethan Galbraith and Dylan Levitt (penalty) to take home a point.

City had their ranks reduced in the first half when central defender Sammy Robinson was given his marching orders following a clash with Brandon Williams.  
United were forced to batten down the hatches in the early stages of this 'mini-derby' as the Blues pushed forward looking to strike the first blow.

The hosts very nearly succeeded in that mission at the conclusion of one attack that saw them make at least four attempts to squeeze the ball home but United’s defence stood firm and the danger passed.

However, City were not to be denied for much longer and they duly took the lead in the 17th minute, with a goal scored by D’Margio Wright-Phillips.
The Blues were reduced to ten men in the 34th minute when Robinson was red-carded following an altercation with United’s Williams. Many players were involved in the ensuing scuffle, which also resulted in Williams and Largie Ramazani being booked.

The Reds were quick to make capital out of having the extra man, grabbing the equaliser within four minutes. Williams sent over a great cross from the right and Galbraith found the net with a terrific finish.

United goalkeeper Jacob Carney then made two fantastic saves to keep City from regaining the lead as the first half was drawing to a close.
United fell behind again within four minutes of the restart, when two of City’s outstanding performers combined to score their side’s second goal. Wright-Phillips provided the pass and skipper Ben Knight took advantage of a defensive lapse to put his side back in front.

As time passed, the Reds gradually began to use the imbalance in personnel to better effect and as a result the number of opportunities began to increase. City ‘keeper Louis Moulden certainly earned his wages with a string of good saves and the Blues’ defence also did well to preserve their team’s lead.

The clock looked to be working against United but, in the 81st minute, defender Reece Devine was felled in City's area and referee Adam Brown showed no hesitation in pointing to the spot. The Reds had been battling hard to claim something from the contest and that was achieved when Levitt confidently placed his penalty past Moulden.
Added time amounted to ten minutes, after two players had lengthy treatment on the field before continuing, but even that wasn’t long enough for either side to grab the winner.


United: Carney; Williams, Hockenhull (Hughes 58), Bernard, Devine; Levitt, Traore, Galbraith; Ramazani, Elanga, McCann.

Substitutes not used: Stanley, Mastny, Helm, Shoretire.

Scorers: City - Wright-Phillips 17, Knight 49; United - Galbraith 38, Levitt pen. 81.