Reds with Women's Champions League experience
While Manchester United’s historic Champions League game against Paris Saint-Germain this Tuesday evening is a competition debut for the club, it will be far from a first appearance in it for some of our players.
Melvine Malard, our on-loan striker, has an impressive four Champions League winners’ medals to her name, all collected with her parent club Lyon. The France international played in the finals of 2019/20 and 2021/22 and was also in the squad for the preceding triumphs of 2017/18 and 2018/19.
Summer signing Geyse won Europe’s top tournament only four months ago, when the Brazilian came on as a 70th-minute substitute during Barcelona’s 3-2 victory over Wolfsburg in the 2022/23 final.
Aside from the tournament-winning trio, there are plenty of other Reds who have appeared in the Champions League before. Lisa Naalsund played in four qualifying games for SK Brann in early 2022/23 before her January transfer to Manchester. Irene Guerrero featured in a quartet of qualifiers for Levante in 2021/22, and Lucia Garcia also represented a side from Liga F, Athletic Club, in 2016/17.
Two of our English Reds played in the competition for Birmingham City, in Rachel Williams (2012/13) and Mary Earps (2013/14). The latter resurfaced in the tournament with Bristol City in 2014/15, still eight years before FIFA recognised her as the world’s best goalkeeper. Club captain Katie Zelem has four Champions League games under her belt with Liverpool, in 2014/15 and 2015/16.
COLLECT UNITED: WOMEN v PSG
To celebrate the club’s first-ever fixture in the Women’s Champions League, our Round Two home leg against Paris Saint-Germain at Leigh Sports Village, we have released another of our popular digital collectibles.
Comprising artwork that is unique to this occasion, featuring Geyse and Guerrero, the free gift can be claimed until full-time on Tuesday, which should be around 22:00 BST.
To get yours and unlock some exclusive benefits, including the chance to win VIP rewards, click the image above or head straight to collectibles.manutd.com and follow these three simple steps:
1. SIGN IN TO THE COLLECTIBLES SITE
Let's start with a visit to collectibles.manutd.com, where you click Sign In, Use Social and finally your choice of Google, Facebook or X (Twitter) account.
2. CREATE YOUR FREE DIGITAL WALLET
Signing in with your chosen social account will create an online wallet where you can store all the matchday tokens you claim throughout 2023/24. How many will you have by the end of the season? Why not challenge your friends and see who can build the biggest collection.
3. COLLECT NOW
Click this button on the collectibles.manutd.com homepage to find the latest token, and again on the next page to unlock and add it to your digital wallet. Then you're done!
The window to claim your free digital collectible for United Women v PSG closes at full-time (circa 22:00 BST, Tuesday).
TERMS & CONDITIONS
Manchester United’s officially licensed Digital Collectibles, powered by Tezos and brought to you by Tezos ecosystem companies, are a form of cryptoasset. Manchester United Digital Collectibles have been issued as a collectible item and not an investment. However, it is important that you keep in mind that:
1. Manchester United Digital Collectibles are not currently regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority in the UK and are not covered by the Financial Ombudsman Service or the Financial Services Compensation Scheme;
2. the value of Manchester United Digital Collectibles is variable and can go down as well as up;
3. tax may be payable on any profits made on the sale of Manchester United Digital Collectibles; and
4. for those Digital Collectibles which require purchase, the decision to purchase Manchester United Digital Collectibles requires careful thought and consideration. You should seek independent financial advice if you are in doubt. You should not purchase any cryptoassets if you do not fully understand the nature of your purchase and the risks involved.